Tuesday 9 July 2019

Eiger ultra trail 2019

After reading plenty of stories about climbing attempts on the Eiger, with all the obsession and mystery involved, I cannot believe we are going out there to explore.

The event is staging multiple race lengths, including a Trail Surprise race which good friend Roz is entering. The surprise being that the course length and profile is only released three days before the event. Good luck on that one, fair Rosalina.

My race starts the following day. The profile looks more like a child's zigzag drawing, than an actual achievable profile. The hardest part will be (getting to and then) leaving the half way checkpoint. To start the whole climbing again after that length of time out on the course, will be quite a play on your mind. If I can get past that point, I'll be pleased.

Have a done enough hillwork for this? Have I done enough squats at the gym, attended enough core training sessions, eaten enough protein bars....? My legs look as skinny as ever and my quads do not look much bigger than when I first started training for this.


I want to plod, and I want to complete, within the race limits.

Aaaaaahhhhhh....