Sunday 24 October 2021

Highland Ultra 2021




A pretty special event all round. Excellent organisation by BTU,in spectacular, dramatic surroundings. 

Race registration and kit check was reached by ferry. A pretty unusual way to get to a race start, maybe . We camped for the duration of the event over two base camps. With a backdrop of Highland hills, Lochs, howling winds, hammering rain, deers calling. Wild .


Day one, approx 50k.....started off road, undulating, amazing sunshiney views . Changing into trails, then rapidly deteriorating to peat bogs ( I still have the evidence of this ingrained under my nails, yuk). Checkpoint at 25k, then the real off grid route began....trails, spectacular hills, long mountain climb, further checkpoint, then the longest ever undulating slippy muddy path along the Loch to camp. Did I fall over .....at least a hundred times. Did I worry about falling in the Loch....oh yes. Did I wonder what on earth I was doing when I couldnt see anyone else on the course in front or behind in the dark ? Oh yes. But I did buzz as I got to the finish , got hot water for my food, and tucked myself smugly in my tent to listen to the rain and wind again. It took me approx 11 hours. One set of soggy running kit down.