Friday 3 February 2017

High mileage events, high mileage training

Previously I have talked about the use of training diaries and a weekly training plan,  to structure and organise your training.  I thought I would just mention where I am up to at the moment,  and what I aim to include each week.
-a target total mileage of 50-55miles : to some people this may seem low,  but it is all I can incorporate around work and life in general.  This still takes up much of my time,  but I do like to have a bit of a life outside of running
-this includes a long run day :I think the most vital part of training.  Running into work usually covers it,  approx 20 miles round trip
-cross training sessions.  At the moment I am attending one or two classes a week, I am quite in love with yoga : a general fitness class incorporating basic weights feels as if my core is being strengthened.  All helping with running. 
-if possible,  I try and hit the jacuzzi once a week as I swear it helps tight spots and recovery - maybe all a placebo,  but it certainly feels good.

So,  that is where I am at.  I can fit this in around other commitments,  but try and keep it varied to keep it interesting. 
After a big event,  I have a week with little or no running,  then reduce the mileage the following week. . If I detect any injuries,  I keep the mileage down and try to incorporate more cross training.  I am not including speedwork at present,  as my aims this year are to work on endurance rather than time. 
Hope it helps.