Sunday 4 October 2020

Lakeland Trails Coniston marathon, 2020




 I don't think I can overemphasise how thrilled I was, to take part in this event during these times. We were incredibly lucky that the weekend was allowed to go ahead,  and this race took place on a day when many mass participation marathons had been postponed, including London. With this in mind, there was not a minute of this race that couldn't be loved.


An absolute stunning Autumn day in the Lakes. The race encompasses over 900 metres overall elevation gain, and was wet and tricky underfoot.much slipping and squelching through peaty mud. The last 5k through the most uneven wooded path compelled many swear words in my head. The marshals were lovely, the route well marked. Two food stations with plenty of snacks to energise the next section. 

I have run the course before, but this was the first time that I had attempted back to back trail races:  the 15k on the afternoon before the full marathon was enough to affect my legs and therefore finishing time. Somehow though, it did not matter a jot. Running through the most beautiful area, for the whole event, was the reward.


I have never before appreciated the actual 'taking place' of a race, until now. Like most people, I just presumed they happened and I went along or I didn't. All the events that have been postponed this year due to the pandemic, have made me savour this one opportunity to participate in a marathon. Hugely grateful.