Tuesday 9 May 2017

Hardmoors 110 - kit

The mandatory kit required to race was quite basic, as expected. Running as an 'unsupported runner'- no support crew- we were allowed three drop bags throughout the race, for extra food or kit. I filled mine with a selection of food which I thought I might fancy eating on the run, peanuts / chocolate/ crisps etc. As anticipated, there was no way I could eat everything in my drop bags, so left extra food at the checkpoints. Unfortunately the drop bags were non returnable; I would have liked to change trainers at some point and think this would have helped ease some blisters.
Navigation was not a factor during the race; the Cleveland way is marked, plus a detailed route description helped at sticky points.

One of the chaps who I was running with, was being assisted by a support crew. His crew- a fantastic chap who gave up his whole weekend to follow the race around - took us all under his wing and gave us sneaky hot drinks at designated meet points. The delight of a hot cup of tea at four in the morning was indescribable - we are in this mans' debt for a long time to come.

Another top tip- buying a brew or bag of chips on the way ! We treated ourselves to a coffee at Whitby, but missed the chip shop at Saltburn unfortunately; buying extra nutrition just seemed to help - anything to get you through.