Monday 1 May 2017

The man's amazing.


I get to the core weights class. I grumble to myself all the way through. I'd rather be outside in the fresh air...how will jumping up and down on this step thing help me run better....you want me to lift WHAT...

Then I look over to this gentleman. He is amazing. Unlike many of us in the class, he undertakes the exercises with an apparent cheerfulness throughout. He puts us all to shame with his stamina.

He is one of the most active people I have had the honour to meet; until recently he was still running, but apparently his knee is now playing him up. He has just returned from a trip to Ecuador; incredibly, he was third in the World Championships at Orienteering a couple of years ago...as in, the whole world. What a legend. Rumour has it, his age might start with an 8; I don't believe it.

All the cynics out there who repeatedly warn us about the long term damage we might be doing to our bodies through exercise; please look and take note.