Wednesday 28 August 2019

Grand Raid de Pyrenees 2019- things I , er, didn't like

There is no doubt that this event is massive, and I hope it will continue to be so, as ultra running continues to gain popularity. The organisation was incredible: I have no idea how difficult this set of races would be, to logistically arrange . A brilliant event in a beautiful environment.

I did find traveling to the area quite difficult, although not impossible. I would definitely get a morning flight and either hire a car or give myself more time to travel out there . As the event is held out of ski season, public transport and connections are more limited.

At a few of the checkpoints on the second day, I felt that the food was starting to run low . I was desperate for pasta or a proper meal , but I could only find snacks. Again, a lesson to myself, to always take more food then I think I might need.

This event was not runnable in the last third. There were numerous difficult climbs, at the stage when your energy levels had been depleted . Even the last 'down' stage into the village was a slippy, tricky, trail path. Stupidly, I did not anticipate that the race was going to be this hard! Another lesson for me; just the fact that the race held a 44 hour cut off, should have been a clue about how hard it would be.


What I absolutely loved about this race, is that it took me (and a couple of friends), to an area where we would not have visited. It took us completely off our beaten track, and allowed us to see an incredible, amazing, stunning part of France. Through running, we have once again been lucky enough to have novel experiences, interesting stories to tell. No amount of blisters and achey legs will diminish the pleasure of that. Grand Raid de Pyrenees, I am grateful for that.


That's my last big race of this year. Each one has been fantastic in a different way. I feel it has been a good running year for me; I know I haven't hit any podiums (and never will), but I've had an absolute blast. Time to kick back a bit, and think about what may come. Brilliant times indeed, with brilliant people. I couldn't ask for much more in life, and am still hugely thankful to friends and family who support, feign interest, and facilitate, these great running adventures of mine.

You all rock, guys.