Monday 12 August 2019

Grand Raid of the Pyrenees - er, hopefully..

Next week, I am due to travel across to France to take part
in one of the races on the Grand Raid of the Pyrenees trail event. This will be the last long race planned this year, and a bit of a sneaky, opportune journey.

However, I say hopefully.... I have got a few very dubious travel arrangements, all my fault through dodgy planning. Despite all my efforts, one day has already been cut short due to no transport - it is a ski resort, and out of season transfers are proving impossible.
I am mentioning all this because it is kind of part of the whole running trip, the whole deal really. Two friends have agreed to tag along with me, so I will not be alone in my travels. It will be a journey indeed, and instead of a short jaunt to Europe, it feels like we are travelling half way across the world.

But, if we get there and I manage to register in time, the races look amazing. Trail running around the Pyrenees? Yippee, is all I can say. I am participating in the 'Circus' tour, a mere 120k, and not the Ultra which is a whopping 220. Elevation in the 120k is similar to the Eiger race, but the time limits are completely different - this race has a generous cut off of 44 hours compared to the tight limit of 26 hours imposed in the Eiger race.

What an opportunity, what an adventure.

Er, if we get there, that is.