Sunday 1 March 2020

Ice ultra 2020 - my version

So, I wanted to document a little bit about the race, without talking too much (!!!!). These are the pertinent points that I remember from each day, so, er... My version really. The stage distance and profile are from the race info sheet. The BTU team have put some awesome footage of the race and area on their Facebook page : these tell the story of the adventure so brilliantly.

I wanted to take lots of pics to put on this blog: unfortunately my phone wouldn't work in such low temperatures, plus my fingers got numb really quickly when I tried to use them.

I've been trying to work out my favourite day : bizarrely, probably, the long stage : this evoked the whole range of emotions that I associate with an endurance event : elation, tiredness, despair, negative feelings, pure fear at one point, pure relief the next half hour: disappointment at lack of speed then disbelief at the achievement. It was all there for me, unlike any other stage.

As the week progressed, my energy levels sagged and food intake /appetite went down. I assumed the plodding motion and imagined I was a polar explorer. All I wanted to do was finish.  ...... I got there, in my own way., and luckily still within the race requirements.

I wouldn't change a single thing about this week. I would probably advise people to use different parts of kit :, but what I had, mostly worked for me. We had incredibly good weather which did not require extreme equipment : last year, temperatures dipped to minus 48 on the lakes, at which point the race was temporarily halted. I'm not sure my kit would have withheld this. It will be different again next year, so what worked this time might not work next : all part of the game.

I would recommend this event and running company to absolutely anyone interested in running / challenge / travel / unusual stories to tell. I feel on top on the world after completing this, we all did. Very magical, very very special.