Sunday 1 March 2020

Ice ultra - final stage

Stage five. Final day. Called the 'Sprint' : maybe for some, not for others. Only 15k, yay indeed.
Woke up, the relief that yesterday was over was palpable within the room. I could think straight again after the rest : found coffee sachets and food in my bag: all ok with the world. Painkillers to get up. Coffee, relief.
Late start after photos near the Arctic circle sign. Thrilled, once again, to be here. Carrying the race flare as a joke that it would keep burning for the whole time I was going. (quite a while, then)
Flat, steep hill, flat. A good competitive race with the front runners - they are buzzing with the effort and environment. I continue near the back. Through narnia forests. Last checkpoint : I will miss the banter. More Narnia. Flat lake, husky dog packs in the distance. Forest. Wild reindeer across the trail - final treat for me, surely. Into the town. Little jog, up to the cheering race finish. So thrilled. Lager and crisps at the end. I cannot believe we are here what we have seen. This has been truly, truly huge.

Unforgettable. I cannot speak with delight and relief.